Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Quick note - 1:11am - Othello and beyond

Super big thanks to Frank and Chris for driving out to pick me up. It is a great feeling knowing friends are on their way even before you land. Kudos gentlemen
Yesterday was a great day to fly if you got into the air and away from the hill early. - Luck had it that I did and it was amazing. = After my quick exit the winds died on the hill and the snow began to fall messing with the minds and plans of the whole crew.

Well I don't know for sure about minds being messed with but I am certain it messed up the plans. Anyway, the thumbnail is: 6hrs 40min and 130km (81 miles for our friends in Rio Linda.) Leo gave me 149km xc miles with all the turns and such. - 6714H was open helping me get to Ryegrass. You will see I needed all the help I could get on that transition. (see video)

I had a supper lucky save during landing set-up at the Windmills. Near froze to death with temps around 8 degree at max altitude adding wind chill figure -12 on glide leaving the top of lift or at some points just cruising the cloud base. I stayed clear of clouds - never even whispied but definitely based it several times near 9,000ft.



- I will post a blow by blow in a day or two but for the immediate satisfaction of the curious here is the track log and a fun video of the windmills close up.

Once again I would never have been able to fly the route without Dr. Wheeler's wonder map for Garmin keeping me clear of the fireing center air space. Easly 30 feet to spare. Thanks David. -

My Flight on Leo
Off to bed now
Dave

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great clip Dave. Were you thinking of getting skewered if you took a collapse over one of those wind mill blades? Looks like you were pretty close.