Tuesday, May 26, 2009

RULES TO LIVE BY

The lure of big air spring flying is very strong just about now. Many have been waiting for opportunity to fly and each "Good Day" seems like a unique opportunity that must not be missed. - Add to this the amazing flights we hear about and think - "if only I could have been there......".
Right about now the temptations are maxed out and the corresponding risk is as well. I haven't been around long enough to have correlative data but I must assume that spring is the most dangerous time in the air sport year.

Today I was reminded of a very valuable Rule/Lesson I last employed on Disappointment Cleaver on one of my last climbs on Rainer.
That day had temptations like spring flying:

I was lead with a friend whom I had promised I would "get to the top." I made the promise when we made the decision not to tempt weather and cold on a previous climb instead deciding to return down to camp. -

On the day in question we were climbing in chain with a large group of climbers forcing our speed to be faster than I was able to maintain. After 3 or 4 hours of fast pace climbing I was getting dehydrated and facing mild exhaustion. It was then that my mind began to fritz and I knew it. I couldn't tell if it was early signs of cerebral edema or just hyper exhaustion and dehydration.
The thing that saved me/us that day was remembering a rule given me by a very wise climbing buddy about making go/no go decisions during or prior to a climb.

Here is the Rule:
You can break a single rule some times if you understand the risk involved. - You may break a second rule and continue to climb if you must but you are now on very thin ice - YOU MUST NEVER break three rules at the same time during ANY climb.

Rule one: Climb with two rope teams: BROKEN
Rule two: Climb within your physical limits: BROKEN
Rule three: If your not thinking clearly don't go any higher: ALMOST BROKEN we went down.

This Rule of Three works for Paragliding as well and I found myself using it on Baldy today.

Rule one: Never fly Alone: - to be broken
Rule two: Fly only when you are feeling up to it and strong: I WAS TIRED
Rule three: Fly skies and conditions you know and are comfortable with: It looked prefrontal and winds were forecasted to increase in the afternoon. I didn't like the look of the sky, it was changing too fast.

I had three rules in front of me, and was thinking about breaking them until I remembered the RULE OF THREE. - NEVER! - I didn't - and thanks old friend for returning the call.

No comments: